Gordy says the Internet is brilliant for:
- Useful information
- Great games – make sure they are suitable for your age group
- Watch TV
- Homework Help
But remember Gordy’s Golden Rules:
- Tell an adult what you are doing on a computer and let them know if you see something that makes you feel uncomfortable
- Keep personal things private. Don’t give out your full name, address or school as people you know will know these things. If you give out this information, people can use this in a bad way to bully you or frighten you. It’s a good idea to use a nickname and a cartoon instead of your real name and photograph.
- Watch your language. Anything you say online can stay on there forever. You can’t take it back once you’ve said it. Also, if you say anything nasty the police can trace the comment back to you and you could be in big trouble.
- Be wary. Ignore anyone who tries to contact you that you don’t know in real life. They could be an adult pretending to be a child trying to trick you by saying nice things about you, but may wish to harm you. Don’t give them that chance and ignore, block or report them to a teacher, parent or other adult you can trust.
Quick Links> Think U Know
If you’d like to talk to someone about a worry Call Childline on 0800 1111
Not everyone is who you think they are